Preparing For a Winter Storm
Winter storm Elliot is on the way to Texas, and he's bringing below-freezing temperatures with him. With storms like this, precautions have to be made in order to prevent damage to the home or business. While we've had ample time to prepare, it's always good to keep certain safety tips in mind if some last minute planning needs to be done.
Winter Storm Safety Tips
- Cover up exposed spigots and pipes with insulation. Many stores sell styrofoam covers for spigots and pipe sleeves for pipes.
- Keep the heater running in your home or business, even when you're away. Even if the heating bill is higher than normal, it's preferable to a costly repair service for burst pipes.
- Allow water to drip from your faucets. This goes a long way in helping to prevent frozen pipes by allowing flowing water to come through.
- Bring all pets indoors. They're family too, and they shouldn't be left out in the cold.
- Locate your water supply main. Once things start warming up, knowing the location of your water main will help greatly in the event of water damage.
For more information, please consult the Red Cross Winter Preparedness page for more winter storm safety tips. And in the event of damage to the home or business due to water, don't hesitate to call us here at SERVPRO of Kaufman County, Mesquite. We're always available to help wherever needed and strive to make your troubles "Like it never even happened®".