Preventing Commercial Water Damage
Commercial water damage restoration is one of the last things any company wants to deal with. Here at SERVPRO Kaufman County & Cedar Creek, we have seen the havoc that can be wreaked on a business by water. We hope you are never affected, but if you are, our experts have compiled some tips to help minimize the damage and the cost of mitigation.
Taking these simple steps ahead of time can save your business valuable time, and money:
- Maintain constant awareness of impending calamities – Knowing what might happen is always a good thing. When the weather stations warn that a storm is on its way, it's important to know how much wind and rain the storm will bring. Knowing as much as you can about weather disasters will help you prepare for any potential water damage.
- Many businesses have sandbags on hand, which they may stack around the outside of the building to prevent water from coming inside.
- If severe winds and rain are forecast, companies also board up windows and doors. This method can also help to prevent commercial water damage from damaged windows.
- Find all of the shut-off valves for all water sources ahead of time and show them to employees (if you have any) – Pipes can freeze, shatter, or burst if some portions of the business structure are not adequately insulated, allowing water to leak into the business and cause damage. Shutting down the valves when you detect a potential problem will help you save your organization further damage, as well as money.
- Inventory and important paperwork can also be harmed by flooding. Keep inventory and other valuables on shelves and in a secure location where water cannot reach them in the event of a storm.
- Important documentation or other comparable objects should also be kept safe - waterproof containers are ideal! Roofs can leak, hot water heaters can leak, air conditioners can leak, and sprinkler systems can create commercial water damage for businesses when they are activated.
For more information, or if you need assistance with water damage at your business or home, SERVPRO Kaufman County & Cedar Creek is ready to help. Call 972-329-4747 anytime, and our expert team will asses your loss and make a plan to get your company up and running quickly.